Tuesday, October 1, 2013

New Semester. New Students. New Challenges New Season




Its already October and I have been guilty of some serious blog neglect.  I feel like I lost September to new semester business, traveling and a nasty bout of pneumonia (apparently I am not superwoman!!)

However, now into the first few weeks of the semester I feel like I a hitting my stride and for the first time since August feel somewhat on top of things in terms of class prep and grading.  My Monday and Thursday pediatric clinical classes are in full swing and going really well.  Face to face teaching with students is really my favorite.  Especially when I have students who are likable, communicate well and are eager to learn.  Yet again I have groups that represent the United Nations very well, I think the school assumes that because I am a foreign nurse I can cope with these non-native speaking students, and to be honest I do not hate it but it does pose its own challenges.  I have students this semester from Haiti, Liberia, The Ivory Coast, Jamaica and its not so much the language that is the issue, they all have mastered the English language really well, but culturally there is a little disconnect.  I can only imagine what assumptions and faux pas I would be making if I was nursing in their country, so open and honest communication without judgement is key.  We are all learning together which is essential and fun.  Cold season is beginning with a vengeance so we have had our fair share of bronchiolitis and RSV so far, lots of babies.  These are good cases for mastering that first basic assessment.  So far so good.....we did not kill anyone yet.....always a good thing!!!!

Online teaching this semester I am focusing on 120 students in one class. My life was just that crazy I could not face bopping around with several different syllabi's, this class is the intro in the RN-BSN course.  It is where students orientate to the online learning environment, start to learn about APA and posting assignments.  However, we have had some very interesting assignments this week including writing a letter to your local legislator regarding an issue in your own clinical environment that is of concern.  Lots of great topics including violence in the ER, the cost of safety with the nursing shortage, how to make the transition from RN -BSN and better one for all.  All huge topics that are worthy of being visited in discussion and with more funding.

I love love love this time of year, although I am still waiting for it to cool down some, we are having a burst of heat here in the Northeast.  But October means its nearly November and that means my kids will almost be home for Thanksgiving.  The test kitchen already started in my house!!!!  Bring it on, cool weather, crisp mornings, sweaters and colorful scarves, evening fires, feeling blessed.




No comments:

Post a Comment