Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mid Semester Exhaustion And How To Conquer It



What, exhausted already, its only the middle of October.  I have to keep going until beyond Thanksgiving.  I seem to be making heavy weather of this semester and I am wondering why but I am determined not to let it affect my standard of teaching.  From one who has gone through extensive education and know how expensive it is, I am determined to give my consumer (the student) the best possible product.  So I try to engage with every student on an individual level and group level. 

This past week in Pediatric Clinicals the Hospital Chaplain came to speak to us in post conference.  He surprised (and impressed) me by talking as much about taking care of ourselves as nurses as how he cares for the families he comes across daily.  He encouraged us all to ground ourselves in a belief system, whether that be Christian, Muslim, Atheistic or whatever, but ground yourself there and find your stress reliever without self medicating on the unhealthy things like alcohol, recreational drugs and prescription drugs ( a huge problem amongst health care professionals right now).  He encouraged us to find that one trusted person to talk to and not to have an ego that keeps you silent, a burden shared and all that.......

I see the pressure all my students are under in Nursing School, the classes, the clinical days, the projects, the exams.....those dam exams that count so much toward the final grade.  And last week especially I felt like everyone was in a mid-semester hump.  I am honest with them about my desire, no need to see a continued high performance but I do cut them a break any way I can and hope I can be that trusted person to talk to.  A couple of them have really sad stories and I have to stop myself from bundling them up in my car and taking them home with me to "nurse" them through nursing school......really done it before.  But really here is some serious advice on how to survive the semester, I need to do this myself as well as advise it to my students.

Keep a routine. Keeping a schedule can help students tackle one hurdle at a time, and as a result, feel more in control. Get a schedule from a supply store or make one yourself and hang it up in your room. Write down everything you need to do in order not to miss things out.

Get enough sleep. Students should at least sleep 7 to 8 hours a day to make it easier for them to cope with stressful situations. Students will also be less irritable and tense.

Exercise regularly. Exercising at least 30 minutes a day can help alleviate stress, tension, and boost confidence. Get on the treadmill, run a mile, lift some weights.


Try to relax. Listen to relaxing music, take a long bath, watch a romantic movie or meditate. Relaxing for at least an hour per day can help you get rid of that stress building up inside.

Have fun. Take a step back and remember to have fun with friends. It can be helpful to have a group study session. It will be entertaining and instructional at the same time.

Stay calm. Do not rush yourself and then start to panic. This will only add to your stress level. Just take it slow and be steady. Take deep breathes! Breathing will physically and emotionally relax your body.

(taken from http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-Stress-at-School)

No comments:

Post a Comment