Friday, January 3, 2014

The Next Generation Of Nurses



A few semesters a go I had a group of students who I really connected with.  They were all without exception the trifector threat of nursing, they had incredible academic, people and clinical skills.  Sometimes you get lucky.....that semester I got lucky about ten times.  I felt incredibly blessed at the end of that semester because these students got the stuff you just cannot teach.  As a result I stayed in touch with many of them after our time together as I am very invested in helping them be successful.

Well at the end of December, many of these students passed their final exams and graduated from the University.  I wanted to go to their pinning ceremony to wish them well.  Now I have not been to a pinning ceremony since my own over 26 years ago and that was in another country.  I did not know what to expect. I did not expect it would be a very emotional experience for me.

Having students is a bit like having children, you are incredibly proud when they do well.  These students did not disappoint and it was with great pride that I saw the excitement in their faces.  They had finally done it, achieved the dream of graduating nursing school. 

People get passionate about their careers, but there is something a little extra for nurses I think.  We see the best and worst of people, experience a huge spectrum of emotions ourselves.  When we begin in our career we are idealistic, maybe a little cavalier and very naive.  Over time we move from novice to master nurse but maybe also loose a little edge on our passion to heal as long shifts, exposure to too many body fluids, heartbroken patients and family members harden us a little.  Its unavoidable and maybe even a little necessary to carry on working as a functional nurse, but there is nothing like the eagerness of a new grad to bring you back to your basics.

As I watched these shining faces  receive their pins it restored me and reminded me of why I became a nurse and how I felt when I first graduated.  I was going to save the world, I was so happy to get my hands (and the rest of me!) dirty in the name of my craft.  And it has been rough in places, I have been exhausted and beat up in a way I never thought possible.  But most of all it has been good, extremely rewarding and I needed this ceremony to understand that some nurses are educated and some nurses are destined to be.  The class of 2013 are those kind of people.  If ever I am unfortunate enough to need care I want one of "my" girls to be there for me.!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment