Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Nurse as an Entrepeneur

So, final exams and evaluations are done, wrapped up with a final faculty meeting where we discussed what worked well and what was a struggle, it was a great semester.  Somehow, I was blessed with a great bunch of students who I truly enjoyed, I am grateful.  Quick 6 week turn around until the spring semester starts, what will I do with myself for all that time, you may ask.  Throw myself into my other job!!

I work for myself as an independent contractor as a community nurse.  I have worked in the community for over 12 years, been a slave to someone elses schedule, been owned by companies that wanted to send me where ever they chose.  After a stint of stepping away from community nursing and taking a management job in hospital I realized it was not for me, I thrive on patient contact and yearned to get back into the community but wanted to do it in a different way.

With the help of my husband I set up my own company.   We have 3 children we are supporting through college so the name of the company was a no-brainer, TFT, or "Tuition for Three " because that is ultimately the main reason why I am working sooo hard at this point in my life.  I committed to give it 6 months to be successful and then I would go and look for a "real job".  Well within 7 days my schedule was full and has not slowed down since, apparently there are a lot of sick people out there and they need services.  The advantages of channeling my pay through my own company is the tax benefits, even so much as a soda or a ball point pen can be claimed, and especially that all expensive mileage!  I have control of my schedule, but I am usually so worried about a pipeline of work I often work 7 days a week.  But I do get to take time off and my boss (me!) usually gives it to me, as an example this year I have accompanied my husband on his business trips to San Diego, Salzburg and Orlando, a welcome break in the chaos of life.  The downside of running your own business, doing the monthly spreadsheets. keeping track of all those pesky receipts, no vacation or sick pay.  But without doubt I am happier and more fulfilled being my own boss than I ever have been in my nursing career.

And, I love love love community nursing, it has become a passion and a ministry.  Nursing one person at a time is a luxury many hospital clinicians do not experience on a daily basis.  When I am in a persons home I am there for them and their family without distraction for as long as it takes.  I have an abundance of varied cases at differing acuity levels and no two days are the same.  Serving a mainly medicare population one day I may have several catheterizations, wound care and BP checks, another day it may be diabetic education, palliative care support and pain control.  As an independent contractor in the community it can be very isolating so communication is even more essential, with the primary care provider, other members of the team (Physical/Occupational Therapy, Social Work etc) to ensure effective and safe case management.

It has been a very busy week, kind of nice not to have a split personality of community nurse and clinical instructor but as I look forward to Christmas and the children coming home from University I am sooo grateful I am doing something that I love so much and have some measure of control over my daily destiny.






No comments:

Post a Comment