Sunday, November 20, 2011

Millenials in the Clinical Environment

Critical thinking in the millennial generation is something I have been thinking about all year.   I happen to really enjoy millenials.  Maybe its because I have three of my own, but they are a multi-tasking, multi-media get to the point generation.  But, even though they have grown up with social media I still find they yearn for face to face relationship, sometimes they are not always sure how to fill that need.  They are a generation -that energize me with their I-can-do-anything-I-put -my-mind-to attitude, we can't blame them, after all we raised them that way.  And so to critical thinking, an important part of nursing.  How does it compare between the generations?  Are baby boomers more adept at higher level critical thinking than the millennial generation or is it the other way around?

Critical thinking in nursing is essential, you may even say it is critical! It is knowing the next step to do, think, ask intuitively, through experience and evidence presented at the moment.  Critical thinking involves all of the senses and requires a maturity in verbal and non-verbal communication skills. Critical thinking is becoming a growing area of concern in nurse education and nursing practice.  Gone are the days when nurses are called to be the physicians handmaidens, we are independent, thinking, breathing practitioners in our right, with a license and accountability to prove it!

Some of my students, the older ones, with more life experience seem to have better critical thinking skills, they almost know by osmosis they need to take the next step, sometimes nervous to go there, but just need a bit of coaching to make the leap.  Other students, I have noticed, are very weak in their critical thinking skills, it is stopping them from being an OK, barely safe practitioner to an outstanding one.  So, with information from my reading and a seminar I recently attended I have been trying to figure out is it osmosis or I'm-out-of-breath-with-trying, hard work that creates, promotes a clinician with excellent critical thinking skill?  It is a make or break characteristic in nursing practice, worth the effort to dig deeper and see if I can take these students to the next step, taking the leap by themselves, connecting the dots, thinking the questions to ask in the first place.

To date I have been trying to be very clear with my expectations, pointing out (softly) where there are deficits in critical thinking skills and how they can turn that around, using role play and humor seem to help them feel less threatened.  I am not convinced it can be taught to every student but I certainly think that most students get it.
I need to do some more exercises with the students to exaggerate my point, illuminate to them clearly when they have it and when they don't and build on these skills.  If anyone has any tips, please share!!  One of the things I am realizing with millenials is it is not good talking in code or implying with these students (so often my British humor gets lost in translation!!), you have to be concrete, clear, black and white, there is very little grey in their lives......there is sooooo much grey in nursing!  Is this a good thing or not, its great and simple to think in black and white but sometimes there is fun, knowledge, insight and yes, danger in the grey.

Look for some guest bloggers coming up over the next few weeks.  I have a very rich network of nursing peers and I am eager to hear their point of view on the burning issue du jour.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate, and to those of you who don't!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment